Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Broke Urban Lawyer Gets the Covid Vaccine

 I never do things the easy way. Apparently, that includes getting vaccinated against covid.

As a lawyer, I'm considered in my state to be an essential worker. As a result, I became eligible for vaccination very early in the process. However, because I have allergies and have had prior bad vaccine reactions, my doctor said that it was too risky for me to get a mRNA vaccine at the moment. At the time, the only approved vaccines were mRNA, so I had to hold off on vaccination.

I eagerly awaited the results of the Johnson and Johnson trial and the subsequent approval, since that vaccine uses traditional technology. Right after the J&J vaccine got approved, my state changed eligibility to be based only on age instead of occupation. My eligibility was revoked.

Time marched on. On March 24, my state opened up to everyone, but appointments for J&J were nowhere to be found. I commented on my woes on a friend's Facebook status, and she replied that a friend had just gotten vaccinated with J&J that morning at a walk-in pharmacy about 45 minutes away from my house.

After I finished with my work for the day, I drove out to the pharmacy. There was a table set up, and I walked over and asked if they were giving out covid vaccines. They said yes. I asked if they were giving J&J. They said that they were giving Moderna, but that they give J&J daily between 10 and noon.

I thanked them and went on my way. The next morning, which was Thursday, I had a court hearing at 10:00. Since all of my hearings are by telephone, I drove to the pharmacy and got to the parking lot about 9:45. I sat in my car and fired up my laptop. I did my hearing while sitting in my car and wrapped up about 10:30. I walked up to the pharmacy and got in line. When it was my turn, the person there asked me for my insurance card. I said that I didn't have insurance. She said she couldn't vaccinate me without insurance. I asked if I could just pay out of pocket, and she said no.

I headed home in defeat. I checked that afternoon for those short-term gap insurance policies that cover exactly nothing but don't cost much, and I was able to get one for $75 per month that would start the next day and could be canceled at any time. I bought it.

The next morning (Friday) I had another 10:00 court hearing. I once again made the 45 minute trek to the pharmacy. I did the hearing in the parking lot and finished at 10:55. I walked up to the pharmacy, and I was told that they had run out for the day. I asked if there would be more tomorrow. She said no, but that there would be more next week. First come, first serve, 20 vaccines per day.

I didn't have court the next week, but I had to take a friend to a medical appointment on Monday, so my plan was to show up at the crack of dawn on Tuesday (March 30 by this point) to make sure I was one of the first 20 people in line.

Monday afternoon rolled around, and I figured I would call ahead to make sure things were still on for Tuesday morning. The person who answered the phone said they were only doing appointments now and that the earliest appointment available was April 16. I booked the appointment, but secretly in the back of my head I still worried something would fall through. I kept searching for more J&J appointments at other places, but there were none available.

Last night, I had a dream that I got stung in the arm by a bumblebee. I woke up and didn't think much of it. Then a friend texted me that there was a pop-up event today at the convention center and they were giving J&J.

I immediately turned on my computer and booked an appointment. There was one slot available for 1:45 in the afternoon, so I snapped it up. Even though it's only a 20 minute drive from my house, I left at 12:45 just to make sure. I arrived around 1:10 and got in line. There was only one person ahead of me, so I was able to be seen right away instead of having to wait until my appointment time.

There were police officers milling about, which I'm sure was supposed to make me feel all safe and secure, but really it made me uneasy. I get why the paramedics and firefighters were there - they were administering the vaccine and giving first aid as needed. But cops seemed excessive.

Check-in was efficient, and the person checking me in marked my sticker with a big pink highlighter to indicate that I'm in the allergy group. That meant that instead of the standard 15 minute post-vaccine wait, I got to stick around for observation for 30 minutes.

After my observation period was over, I headed to the exit and collected my vaccine card. I walked outside and immediately felt faint. Then I gathered my thoughts and realized that it's 100 degrees out. I took off my mask, moved over to the shade, got some fresh air, and felt fine. I walked straight to my car and put the air conditioner on blast.

It's been about 3 hours now, and all I have is a sore arm. I picked up some Gatorade in case I do get sick, but I think I might have escaped side effects. Either that, or I'll pay for my hubris in the morning.

I called the pharmacy across town to cancel my appointment, and then I canceled my "insurance".

Even though this was a really annoying bureaucratic mess with several failed attempts before I finally succeeded, I consider myself fortunate. I have the flexibility in my schedule that I was able to accommodate it. I'm confident enough to be able to advocate for myself to get the vaccine I need rather than just whatever was on offer on a given day. I had the resources to buy a useless insurance policy to cover me for a few weeks while this was all going on. And I have well-connected friends who care about me and gave me information on potential ways to get what I need.

Also, I'm going to pay more attention to my dreams. The bumblebee was prophetic!

No comments: